Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Frame Plans


The first component of R5 that I am building is the body frame. I am going to build the frame from wood based on Mike Senna’s plans. You can find the plans in the Senna Files folder on the R2-D2 Builders Yahoo group. The folder called Senna Frame Prints (by M. Henricks) contains prints for all the parts with their dimensions. The file R2D2_Wood_CNC_frame_DIY rev B.pdf in that folder has some good tips for building the frame. There is also a file called SennaTemplates.pdf in the Senna Frame Prints (by M. Davis) folder. This file contains a single 36”x48” drawing of all the parts full sized which can be used to print templates for cutting he parts. One important thing to note about these templates, they do not always agree with the plans. I have found one discrepancy so far and will try to note when I find others.
Like most people I do not have access to a printer that can print a drawing that large so there are a few other options. I checked with my local Staples and they can print the drawing for $7.00 and I also found a local print shop that can do it for $3.50. In the end I decided to print them on my normal inkjet printer on multiple sheets which I then taped together to make the full size plan. This turns out to be pretty easy to do using Adobe Reader.
In the Print dialog box in Reader first select your printer and be sure the proper paper size is selected. Next under Page Size & Handling click on Poster. Be sure the Tile Scale is set to 100% and check Cut marks.
image
The finished print will not go right to the edge of the pages but the cut marks make it easy to trim each page so they fit cleanly together. I also found an option in Reader that allows you to print only what is showing on the screen. Under More Options select Current view and it will print only the section you are displaying. I did this to print each part as I was making them.
No matter what technique you use to print the plans, be sure to verify that they printed at the correct scale. The easiest way to do this is to use the slots around the edge of the top an bottom frame. These slots should be 1/2” wide.

9 comments:

  1. Hi. For some reason, I can't access the plans pdf. Could you probably send it to me through email? Thanks.

    kcpdizon9@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plans can all be found here now:

    http://astromech.net/forums/downloads.php

    I will update the links in this thread when a get little time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't open the files, no matter what I do :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The link was broken but I have fixed it. You will also have to be logged into the Astromech.net site first to download the files.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am logged and I can download the files, but they can't be opened in android neither on windows. It seems like the files are all corrupt now, unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried downloading R2D2_Wood_CNC_frame_DIY rev B.pdf and it opened fine. Be sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just tried downloading it but it said "Josh_D, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

    Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

    Any idea on how to fix this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Downloaded stuff in the past.

      Delete
    2. You need to have an account and be logged into the Astromech.net forums.

      Delete