Saturday, May 13, 2017

Booster Covers

 

The next part I am going to talk about is the booster cover. The is the blue part in the middle of the leg. I decided to make this out of wood and made it in three main pieces, the top block and the two arms that come off the bottom of the block. I will start with the top block.

image

I started by gluing up some pieces of pine to form a block bigger then needed, I then cut the piece down on the table saw to the correct final dimensions.

DSC01621

The next step was to form the curve at the top of the block. This is a little tricky since the curve slopes down to the front of the block. I started by printing a full size template for the curve. I then cut this into two pieces, the larger piece defines the edge of the curve on the front of the block and adding he smaller piece defines the curve on the back. 

DSC01622

I used the template to mark the block on the front and back and also marked which side was which.

DSC01623

I started the cut using the band saw to remove some of the material. This is the front of the block so the cut isn’t close to the line, but it is much closer on the back.

DSC01624

To finish the cut, I made a wedge that is the same angle as the slope of the curve. I then used that wedge along with the largest drum on the drum sander to remove the material down to the line on the front. The wedge will  assure that it comes out correctly on both the front and back.

DSC01625

Here is what the piece looks like after that operation. I believe I had to do more more to form that angles on the edges but it’s been a while and I can’t remember how I did this, probably on a belt sander.

DSC01626

The next step was to form the cove along the bottom edge. I did this with a cove bit on the router table. I clamped a guide block to keep the block against the fence and a used a feather board to keep it tight to the table.

DSC01629

Once cove was cut I marked up the block for the location of the slots in the block.

DSC01630

I started cutting the clots using the drill press. I clamped a block along the back to hold the piece in the right position front to back.

DSC01647

Here is the piece after the drilling operation.

DSC01648

I cleaned up the slots with a chisel. Here is the piece after some cleanup and a coat of primer. Still needs a little work.

20170513_084242

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Dome Top Section


To make the stop section of the dome I first needed to create two more discs. Since the top of the head slopes in I needed to cut the discs with edges beveled to that angle. To do this I used the same fixture I used in my last post to create the two next discs.
DSC01414
I cut these discs out of 1/2 plywood. I added a stop block to the fixture to set the finished diameter of the disc. The angle of the fixture will control the angle of the bevel on the edge of the disc. I used this technique to cut both the bottom and top discs.
Next I drew the layout lines on the disc. I first divided the disk into 10 equal segments. The sides and back of of R5’s head have pockets in them so you can see the wider layout lines in those positions. The remaining segments have layout lines for plywood pieces that will form the frame of the head.
DSC01417
With the layout complete I could cut out the inside of the disc to form a ring. Since this edge will not be seen it could be cut free hand or on the router table.
DSC01424
The support ribs are cut out of 3/4” plywood with the ends cut at the same angle as the angle cut on the edge of the disc. I rounded the outside edge of the ribs slightly so that the styrene skin will go on smoothly. To do this I just put the edge on a belt sander and gently rocked it back and forth to knock the edges off.
Here is the top ring that was made the same way as the bottom ring.
DSC01425

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Head pockets

 

On either side and back of the head are these pockets.

image

These are the pieces for each pocket. The sides go the full height of the head and the small blocks are used to form the top and bottom edge of the pocket. These pieces are rounded slightly on one side to match the curve of the head. I also slightly rounded the edge of the side pieces, again to match the head curve. Finally there is a piece of 1/4” luan that forms the back.

DSC01419

Here are the assembled sides and back. Ignore the yellow, it was just a piece of wood I had laying around that was already painted.

DSC01423

Before installing the finished pockets in the head I painted them with some white spray primer.

20170415_081230