Saturday, April 18, 2020

Skirt Part 4


The next step on the skirt where the strip details that go on the curved sides. I started by cutting a piece of wood to the correct width and thickness. Once I figured out the angles on each end I marked up the raw stock leaving enough room in between the pieces to make the cuts.



I made the rough cuts with a saw and then cleaned them up on my mini belt sander.





Here are the finished pieces.




I attached them with Gorilla glue and a small brad nails at either end. The ends of the pieces are going to be prone to splitting so I pre-drilled for the nails. A good trick is to actually put one of the nails into you drill and use that to make the pilot holes. The Gorilla glue expands as it dries so you can see a lot squeezing out between the parts.

 


Here are all the pieces attached and the glue cleaned up.I also needed to sand the end of each piece flush with the bottom of the skirt.
 




Finally I used hobby putty to fill in the gaps between the styrene and wood and to fill the nail holes.





Here is the finished product after sanding and painting.













1 comment: