Sunday, April 5, 2020

Skirt Part 2

I unfortunately didn’t take any good pictures of the next part of the skirt assembly, but here is one that show a good part of it.


The first thing I built was the plywood frame that goes around the area where the center foot goes. Normally I would cut the ends of the pieces on a 45 degree angle to join them together, but there isn’t enough room at the corners for that to fit, the corners of the box would actually stick out beyond the edge of the bottom plate. I probably could have still done this, and just cut the corners off, but what I ended up doing was still cutting the corners at 45, but attached them in reverse to that the corners did not stick out.

For the flat sides of the skirt I started with two angled blocks on each site which will hold the side panels. You can see them in this picture. For the side panels I used pieces of luan plywood with the edges cut at an angle. At the end of each pieces of luan I attached a small piece of wood which will be used to hold the styrene for the curved ends. I also put angled wood blocks in the middle of the ends to help hold the styrene.

Here I have attached the skirt frame to the bottom of the body. I decided not to try to build the skit as an independent assembly, once it’s attached it won’t be coming off.

1 comment:

  1. lookin good! Yeah I had to do similar with the internal side walls. Once the skirt is on, it's solid enough to take the weight of the whole droid.

    ReplyDelete