Sunday, May 16, 2021

Body Skins Part 3

To attach the inner skins to the wood frame I started by drilling small holes along the top and bottom edge so that I can use nails to hold the skin in place while the glue sets. The outer layer will cover a good part of the inner layer which will hide the nails. To glue the inner layer to the frame I used White Gorilla Glue, https://www.gorillatough.com/product/white-gorilla-glue/

20180616_161835

Since I made each layer in two pieces I glues them in place one at a time, further securing them with strap clamps. To glue the outer layer to the inner I used a combination of styrene glues. I first used the Testors gel glue, which has a longer working time then the liquid, being careful not to go to close to the edges with it. I then used the liquid to tack town the edges.

20190120_142752

You can see where how I secured the skins with strap clamps and other types of clamps any where I could get them in.

20190120_142727


At the seems only a small part of the skin has frame behind it, so I also added some piece of styrene on the back ok the skin to span the seam.

20181230_144434

No comments:

Post a Comment