The next piece to work on is the leg strut. This is a much more complex part then the shoulder hydraulic I showed in the last couple posts, so I broke it down into 5 section as seen in the diagram. I will start with section 4.
For this piece I went back to the machine lathe. I started with a dowel that matches the largest diameter of the part. Using the measurements in the plans I marked out each segment.
I then machined each of the grooves in the part.
Here is the part with the lathe work complete. I still needs to be trimmed to length and cleaned up a bit.
Using a centering gauge I marked the center of each end.
I then drilled out each end for dowels that will be used to connect the sections together.
For piece 3, I cut the part from a dowel of the correct diameter and then used a file and some sanding to create the bevel on the edges.
I marked the center of the piece with the centering gauge and then mounted it in my dowel drill jig to drill a hole through the center.
Here are the two pieced complete.